Fancy a bit of midweek baking …
Honey and Whisky Cake
An old family favourite
For the cake.
170g/6oz unsalted butter
170g/6oz soft brown sugar
Zest of one orange
50ml/2 fl oz of your favourite whisky
170g/6oz SR Flour
For the filling
170g/6oz icing sugar
60g/ 2.25 oz softened unsalted butter
2 tablespoons good local honey
1 teaspoon orange juice
1. Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees c/375 f/gas mark5.
2. Grease and line two 6” cake tins
3. Cream the butter and sugar til light and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time, add the orange zest and whisky. Fold in the half of the flour until incorporated, then fold in the remainder.
4. Split the mixture evenly between the two tins and flatten with the back of a spoon.
5. Bake for 25mins or until well risen and golden brown.
6. Cool in tins for 10 mins and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
7. Put all ingredients for the filling into a bowl and mix well until light and fluffy.
8. Sandwich cakes together with the filling and dust the top with icing sugar.
Thanks to Anne for this recipe